Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Custom Artwork on Display

So I have this rule, if I do not have a spot (home) for a new item when I am shopping, I do not allow myself to buy it. I'm such an organized neat freak that having items haphazardly throughout the house really bothers me. This was the case when it came to my necklaces. My jewlery box was full and statement necklaces are popular, which meant I was missing out. Of course a new necklace would be a quick and cheaper way to change up an outfit. I was determined to solve my dilemma! I had perused Pinterest (hours of research of course!) and found all kinds of ideas to hang necklaces. The idea that stuck the most was the one using picture frames. 

I bought 2 unfinished frames that were 11 x 14 at Michael's when they were 55% off. I waited a while, but eventually bought Rustolum's Hammered Silver spray paint. One afternoon in the summer, I painted both of the frames outside.

They then sat around for months. (Not like a baby shower or anything happened to keep me busy!) When I was at Michaels for one of my weekly visits, I found corkboard about 1/2 inch thick in 11 x 14 sizing. I bought 2 and they fit perfectly in my frames. I knew where I was going to put these and wanted some fun fabric to wrap around the cork board. I got lucky and purchased 1/4 of a yard on sale for 50% at Joann's a few weeks ago. Finally, I was all set!

I put a wall bracket on the back of each frame so I could hang them. Luckily, I already had these and only had to dig them out of my stash.


Then, I started hot gluing the fabric to the corkboard.

This took no time at all. I then placed the covered board into the picture frame. To hold it in, I got out my trusty staple fun an staple it in. (So eager, forgot to take a picture)

Seriously, this took me maybe 15 minutes for 2 boards. 

I decided to use clear thumbtacks which I already owned. I used 6 on each board and alternated them by various heights to help with spacing. 

Now for the fun part!! I took them upstairs and hung then on the wall. One on each side of my dresser. Then I decorated them with my necklaces.


So now I can buy a few more fun statement necklaces and I have created custom artwork as well. One final look of the room in general.

Yes, I sleep facing my most prized possessions...clothing, shoes, and jewlery!!

1 comment: