Saturday, April 5, 2014

Gardening 101

About two weeks ago, I attended a Gardening 101 seminar. I found it through a Pittsburgh based gardening group. Originally I was going to attend the class in the city, but they provided a second one near where I lived which I thought made more sense to attend. The best part was that it was Free.

The woman who taught the class is a retired Pediatrician. She became involved with gardening as a cheap way to provide food for herself while putting herself through medical school. Since she has retired, she has continued to garden and even has her Master Gardener certification. I guess, that is important to some people, but I honestly could care less.

Her theories and practices come from a guy named Mel Bartholomew who has written several books on Square Foot gardening. With the size of the space I have to work with it, makes sense for me to apply as well. She gave some great tips which I am going to try this year. The Pittsburgh weather in the spring is really wet, and not much sun. Ironically, she said this is why broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower never seem to do well out here in the spring. I instantly identified with it as I have not had any luck. She suggested to buy the seeds and start these plants inside in July and then plant them in the garden in August because they would thrive in our fall weather. Also, she said onion sets will never grow well out here. Instead buy and onion bulb plant to get actual onions. Never heard of them so I will be on the lookout I guess. Finally, rather than planting everything in rows, I'm going to try more of a cluster style planting saving space and adding more seeds every 2 weeks so I have continuous fresh veggies throughout the year. I'm not sure if it will work, but can't hurt to try.

She also discussed our soil, which has been puzzling to me. It is clay basically. She said it is best if we do not turn over our soil. WHAT!! I know, shocker right? Goes against everything I was taught. However, her theory is that as leaves and other plants die and decompose, they fertilize the soil. Since our clay soil is so thick, our plants' roots go out left and right rather than a deep tap root. So this year, no turning over. My back, biceps, and quads are thankful!! She did suggest a soil test and I have known I needed to do it. I am proud to say that my check has already been mailed to Penn State and my soil test kit arrived yesterday!!I will be moving on it quickly as my gardening help arrives at the end of the month and definitely want to have my plan finalized when I have free help. Excited Mom and Dad?!?!  :-)

I asked how to keep squirrels out and she had no advice. I think that will always be my challenge with a chestnut tree in front of the across and an acorn tree out back. I did meet a guy who grows garlic in his garden. Definitely will have to try that!

No comments:

Post a Comment