Monday, April 28, 2014

Soil Testing

So, I decided to be smart this year and test the soil for my garden. I went through the Penn State Extension to get my test. Just Google "soil test and penn state" and it should come right up. The test was $12. You go online and print off the application and send a check with the signed application. You can do commercial and residential, mixed vegetables, lawns, flower beds and so on. For the first time, I thought mixed vegetables would be sufficient. It only took a week and a half for my test to arrive. It really was quite simple too, well, if you read instructions!



Basically, I had to take 10 to 12 samples of dirt for different areas and mix it all together and let dry. The instructions say to place dirt on newspaper. I however, forgot about that, so I placed it in a baking dish on my dining room table for a few days! Anyone hungry?


They provide this nice little bag and request a 1cup sample of dried soil. (Yep, same measuring cup I bake with!)


Along with the dirt, they ask you to complete several questions depending upon which test you are required. Again, if you read the directions, selecting the correct color application makes the process much smoother.


It said the results would take about 10 business days depending upon the season. I was thinking it might take longer with it being spring, but I received my results within that time frame. So, how is my soil you ask...Below Optimum!! Actually, that is not surprising.

The results come back in a nice format that are easy to read and clearly explain what you need.


Now, if you thought I interpreted the results, you are sorely mistaken. I snapped these photos and sent them to my parents and said to get what I needed. Seriously to me all of that was Greek! The parents came for a visit this weekend and we followed the recommendations for fertilizing, turned it over, and fertilized agin. Now, all I need is for it to warm up and maybe I can plant a few things!







No comments:

Post a Comment