Monday, January 28, 2013

Knitting Again

Along with sewing, I also know how to knit. I am probably the world's pickiest person when it comes to shopping and making things. If I can not make it look like I bought it in a store, I won't make it. I would rather buy it. Well, at least that is how my philosophy usually went. I am trying to realize now that it is the items that are not perfect and handmade that are special and not the store purchased items.

My sister is an avid knitter. She would rather design as she goes than follow a pattern. This is probably why she is an architect. I will say, she is very good at knitting. I have a hat that she made for her husband that he didn't like and no matter where I go when I wear it, I get compliments. So, she had decided to knit a purse. Whenever I saw this "thing", I would tell her I just did not get how it would work. It was so loose and had no structure, it just didn't make sense to me.

Back in December when I was home, I went to the knitting store with my mom and her. She came in carrying this purse that was incredible. I couldn't wait to know where I could get one. Yeah, you know where this is going! Turns out that purse I made fun of had been felted and produced an incredible tote bag. It is awesome!

I have decided that I want to make it, however, I need some practice first. So, I have been making some fun infinity scarves as my "practice" items in hope of being able to make a purse later this year. If I had a picture of her purse, I would post it, but I don't. Here are some of my recent "practice" items.


Ironically, I have worn the top scarf to work and I have been asked where I have gotten it from. Maybe I am not so bad after all!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I will have to make a blog of my knitting projects and I will share pictures of my now cool bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that bag. I think I am ready to tackle it!

    ReplyDelete