Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sewing Success

So, I come from a long line of women who are quite crafty. However, I only seem to have a portion of their talent compared to the rest of them. When I was younger I was taught to sew. We would pick out fabrics, patterns and make our clothes. I know their are women who would have enjoyed this, but I would have preferred to go to the mall instead. I'm sure my mom can tell some stories about my whining. Oh, and my constant criticisms. Now that I am a homeowner and trying to be a more responsible adult, I realize it is better to make than to always buy. I bet no one in my family would ever thought I would say that! And it is in writing too!

My mom and I made the curtains that hang in my living room (more on that later) and I actually enjoyed sewing again. So she left me a sewing machine to practice on. I wanted to find ways to make the house cozier without spending a fortune and I thought making some things would be the best way to do it.

My first project was a fabric box. I though I could use this to keep various items in and it would provide some additional storage. I found some fabric that was fun and would go with any colors.


The project seemed pretty easy once I had it cut out and started to sew it together. I was actually quite impressed with how much I remembered. I did have to go and buy tracing paper to transfer the pattern markings as my improvising methods were not working.





It was about this stage when I broke the sewing machine. The sad part is that I had joked a few weeks previously that I was worried I would break it, well I did. So my mom was kind enough to buy me a new Bernina. Now, I'm kind of terrified to touch it! But like any new toy, I quickly overcame my fear and finished my project. In fact, I was so excited to finish, I forgot to put in some of the interfacing. I'm pretty satisfied though.





 After it was all put together, I realized there was a mistake early on. So, we will see if you can figure it out. But hey, after not sewing for over 10 years, I would say, that is pretty impressive!

2 comments:

  1. Nice work! I like to say I can sew anything in a straight line, but not if it curves or needs button holes or anything. I love the fabric. I am actually thinking about making a few of these to corral some of Colter's toys. I might put the handles in the right places though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The directions were a little confusing and the pattern had the handles sewn inside out which were miserable to flip, but overall it wasn't bad!

    ReplyDelete