Monday, February 11, 2013

Weekend Warrior: Part #2

Well the fun task this past weekend was painting the trim in the 3 bedrooms upstairs. You may be wondering why this wasn't done already, since we have lived in the house for a year and half. Well, these rooms were painted with the help of my parents when I first moved into the house. The main concern was getting the walls painted and at the time, I thought the trim was fine. But, the perfectionist in me has started to really notice the "little unfinished" tasks in the house and it began to wear on me. Since I am not spending any additional money this month, I thought it would be another perfect task. We already had the white paint!

I started this project on Saturday morning and really did not give it much thought. Sam actually left earlier in the day than usual so it worked out well. My plan was to clean down the baseboards, caulk them, paint and it would be done. Turns out, this was an all day project. Each room also has blinds and while moving up the curtains so they would be out of the way, I decided to clean the blinds as well. That is a thankless task that takes up T I M E!!!! It took me 2 hours to get the master bedroom and office room clean. I ate some lunch and then cleaned the guest bedroom. I was finally ready to start painting around 1:30. 

The painting ended up being more tedious than originally planned. I never finished painting until 6 p.m. By the time I had the rooms cleaned and put back together it was 8/8:30. Let's face it, if they are already torn apart, might as well finish cleaning them before putting them back together. So this project took much longer than anticipated. I thought I could have all of this done in 3 hours. Yep, I'm delusional!! I have to say though, they look so nice. I even painted some of the closet doors. The previous owners never gave much thought to the finishes apparently because some doors are a flat, matte white and others are a glossy white. I painted the flat, matte doors with the white semi gloss paint and they look much better next to the glossy white trim. Hopefully this will make them easier to clean in the future as well. Here are some before and after shots of my hardwork.
 
Before
After
Before
After
Before
After
I loved waking up on Sunday morning knowing that more little items have been crossed off the list! Luckily for me, next weekend is a 3 day weekend. Love Federal Holidays!! So now I have to decide what is next on the list. I did decide how I want to finish painting the master bedroom closet so that will be one of the projects. I really need to figure out the kitchen tiles, so that will probably be the other project!


No comments:

Post a Comment