Sunday, March 24, 2013

Scrub A Dub Dub

One of my goals this year was to take a new approach to presents for friends and family for birthdays and other occasions. This year I wanted to make the presents. One of the presents I have started to make are sugar scrubs. I reviewed a bunch of recipes on the Internet and Pinterest and finally settled on this:
2 1/2 cups cane sugar
1 cup coconut oil
Essential oil scent (20 - 30 drops)

I have lavender and eucalyptus scents currently. I found mine in the grocery store in the organic / high end lotion section. For a very small bottle, they cost about $5 - $10, but go a very long way.

Since coconut oil is a solid, I place the jar in a pot of water on the stove. I let the water get close to simmering, but never boil. From there, you can pour the oil over the sugar and then I use my eye droppers for the various scents.

When the scrub is first used, it can feel a little scratchy, but the oil hydrates the skin completely. The water will actually bead up on your skin because of the coconut oil. I will promise you though, your skin will not be greasy. It will be the opposite; your skin will feel soft and silky.

I have given these away as gifts several times now. So far, no one has had the courage to tell me if they don't like them. Rather, I have gotten lots of thank you's and often a day to day account of when they will be used and then emptied. Not sure, but that could be a request for more!

2 comments:

  1. Made my legs delightfully smooth! Thanks for sharing some with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is incredibly easy to make. I have become addicted to the smooth feeling. Maybe my legs will be ready for summer this year. Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete