Sunday, June 9, 2013

Garden Time

Last year, was my first garden and it went well. However, I didn't take advantage of it like I should have. I froze 4 containers of green beans and that was it. This year, I told myself I wanted to do a little more and use what I was growing more wisely. 

I started some plants inside this year; mainly just broccoli, cabbage, and basil. My grandmother had given me tomato, green peppers, broccoli, and cabbage plants. I also decided to plant corn, potatoes, onions, green and yellow beans, cucumbers, radishes, jalapeƱo pepper, zucchini, and lettuce. I even drew a diagram of how to plant it in the garden.

The garden has been coming along quite well. My only concern is that the squirrels keep getting into it. They ate the strawberries before I would get to them! Also, they have eaten my rosemary as well.  I'm going to have to get some cheap red pepper flakes and sprinkle the entire garden.

Looking into the garden from the gate

Tomatoes, green peppers, and of course a jalapeno pepper for fresh guacamole!
Potatoes

Cabbacge and Broccoli

Lettuce, radishes, and cucumbers

Green and yellow beans

Zucchini

 These pictures were from about two weeks ago. I will put up some more current ones. Let's just say the weather of humid and hot throughout the day and then rain a few days later has caused my garden to JUMP! I can not believe how big it already is, but that is good. Soon I won't need to go to the farmers market on a weekly basis and that will be nice for a change.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't it feel good to get your hands in the dirt? Glad to see your garden is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does feel great. My friendly rodents though are making it difficult. I have been able to keep the rabbits out of the garden this year, but now they are eating my flowers. It is like a losing battle. I'm thinking about making the garden bigger, but our challenge is all of the trees around our house, so finding time in the sun is quite difficult actually.

    ReplyDelete