Sunday, June 2, 2013

Locker hooking rug

This rug went from a fun project to a time consuming, expensive project. To start at the beginning, my mom had a package of Bali pops which I always loved. It contained yellows, greens, blues, and browns which are coincidentally the same colors I have painted inside the house. I was very excited to get started. I thought this would be a quick project to finish before it was time to get outside and play in the dirt. I cut the strips in half and began to weave them into the mat.

My problems began when I used up all the Bali pops my mom had provided me and I was not only 1/4 of the way done. Okay, no problem, I'll just go buy more fabric. (Insert laugh here) I did not realize how much a yard of fabric cost, let alone the Batik fabric I would need. I had figured out I needed 12 different patterns at half yard each. Yep, the dollar signs just start clanging together. I sucked it up and bought some fabric as well as used leftover my mom had from her various quilts.

Because I'm such a perfectionist, I ironed each piece of fabric and then cut it into 3/4 inch strips. Again, time consuming, it took 2 nights after work cutting the strips, but then they were all done. 


To make sure the pattern was similar I laid the fabric out in order. The only thing left was to weave it into the mat. This part was actually slow. I figured out I could do 3 rows in an hour. There were 70 rows! So a project that was started in March was finally finished the first weekend in June. Woo Hoo!! It sure is pretty!!


No comments:

Post a Comment