Sunday, June 30, 2013

Happy Hunting aka Antiquing

My friend Sarah and I both love to go antiquing to see what we can find. (Her blog is about her farmhouse reno....check it out!) We went about 2 months ago and I found some great chairs that I want to reupholster. I guess, I need to digress a little to bring everyone up to speed....

My taste has always been modern, but more specifically, brand new, if that is really a taste. In other words, I wanted all my stuff to be brand new from the store. I'm not sure when it happened, but somewhere along the way with our 90 year old house, I saw that start to change. I had reached a point where I felt it made more sense to find some older pieces that could be redone with a modern touch. This meant one, I needed to find some good pieces of old furniture and two, I would need to learn how to reupholster. I also think viewing Chairloom, an upholstery store outside of Philadelphia also made me interested in upholstery, just not the prices.

After doing some research, a basic dining room chair where the seat could essentially be "popped out" covered in fabric and "popped back in" seemed to be a good place to start. And this is what started my antique furniture hunts!! Seriously, if you told me 10 years ago that in the future I would love a good flea market, I probably would have fallen over dead on the spot. Definitely didn't see this interest/hobby coming!!

I found the first two chairs when Sarah and I went to the store that is near my house. I absolutely love the rolled back detailing at the top of the chair. At first I thought I would even reprint the chairs, but I have decided not to. I think they will be fine will the upholstered chair seats tying them together. I was able to get both of these for $35.





I found the chair below for $7 when I met up with my parents at a flea market one weekend. Now the bottom is broken, but I can get a piece of wood easily to replace the broken one. Also, the dark wood color matches the first chair.



The is the final chair that I purchased over the weekend. I had seen it when Sarah and I were there before, but it was priced as $50. Since I knew I would be redoing it, that was way more than I wanted to spend. When I asked about the price Saturday, the guy at the counter said 20% off, but I was still not satisfied. When checking out he asked me about it and I flat out told him that was more than I wanted to pay. He said to make him an offer. I suggested $20 and the chair was mine!



The best "find" as we call it did belong to me on Saturday. I found this incredibly cute bench!



I haven't decided exactly where it is going. I am thinking the living room. This one I will be sanding down and painting. It is really cool. I can't wait to get started, but I first need to settle on a color so I can look for fabric.


3 comments:

  1. I love that little bench! I think it would look really sweet under a window or maybe at the end of a bed. Can't wait to see what fabrics you choose for these projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bench was an incredible find and deal. I have gone back and forth on what I am going to do. There is a really cool fabric store in the city that I hear calling my name. After I visit there, I think I will be set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds, can't wait to see them upgraded.

    ReplyDelete