Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Revived! The little bench lives again!

Do you remember this little guy that was the find of the day?


I was so excited when I found him for only $25, however, he required some work. The wood seat was cracked and needed replaced. With a family owning a saw mill and wood shop, it is ironic, replacing the wood seat took the longest part of this rehab.

I toyed with the idea of painting the bench a different color, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. The structure was in great shape and I felt all the dents had been well earned. I hated to remove all traces of its previous life. I decided to sand it down and re-stain it. I had a can of dark stain, so one less item to purchase.

The fabric for the seat was another story all together. I was all over the board. I knew it needed to be more muted colors to match the existing color scheme, but I kept picking vibrant colors that didn't match.  When looking through a handful of scraps at a fabric store in the city one day, I found it! The disappointing part was the price of the fabric. It was $20 a yard. When the sales associate rolled out the fabric, there was a mark in it. However, it was in an area I was going to work around and not need. The sale associate was going to throw it away when I asked her if she would discount it due to the mark and she agreed. So, my yard of fabric only cost $10!

I think the bench turned out great and I'm so excited. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.




This is its home for the next 2 weeks until a Christmas tree arrives and reclaims its place in the living room. Until then!


1 comment: