Saturday, January 4, 2014

City Style Craft Show

Back on the first weekend of December, a time when I was still productive because Izzy Monster wasn't born yet, I went to a craft show in the city. Let's just say, it definitely was not what I had expected. Growing up, craft shows were very country oriented and I hated them, to be frank. Maybe despised is a better word, but I think you are getting the picture. It seemed the only merchandise to buy was wooden with a hand painted country accent to it. At times there would be jewelry, but it was very simplistic and looked hand made. So, I was curious to see a craft show in the city and it was free, so why not. Boy, did I get a surprise!

Turns out that this is an annual craft show held every year the first weekend in December and there was nothing country about it. It is held at the David L Lawrence convention center, a building I always wanted to go in. I got a couple cool pictures looking out.



Inside, it was packed. I took a few photos.



The variety of merchandise and vendors was like nothing I experienced before. I would say items fell into jewelry, spa items, sewn clothing (kids, babies, purses), and artwork with different mediums. I found it was cool to look at everything, but I did not make a purchase. I'm not sure if it was too close to Christmas or the prices were too high for my liking. Probably a bit of both, plus I felt I could replicate the items I was interested in for the most part. Some things were absurdly priced though.

For instance, a blue onesie with a shape sewn on it, was selling for $20. Really!?!? Yes, I know not everyone could make that, but I thought it was a little steep. I also saw baby bibs where one side was fabric and the other side a fuzzy chenille fabric. All edges were exposed and not finished and they were selling for $18 a bib. Too much for me!!


I found one stand with teapots and spoons to be interesting. Never would have come up with that idea.


The only items I considered buying were a pair of earrings that were matching photographs. I love photos and to be able to wear a pair would be fun. However, with Christmas a few weeks away, I couldn't bring myself to splurge. I did take a business card so in case I wanted to in the future, I could make a purchase.



The highlight of the day was this stand. Not much to say, other than I was speechless! I'll let the photos speak for themselves.



Really, you think a refurbished chair cost that much?!?! WOW!











No comments:

Post a Comment