Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Amazing Shrimp Burritos

I always love quick and easy dinners that incorporate fresh vegetables. I seem to prefer fresh veggies over any frozen or canned even if they are from my garden. Last night's dinner was AMAZING!

I used a recipe from Cooking Light and modified it. It was the Chicken Tostadas and Avocado Salsa from the August 2012 issue. Yep, still have my old magazines! Sorry no pictures, but take my word this is amazing.

Start by cooking 1/2 cup of brown rice according to the package direction. I used Uncle Ben's brown rice and it took about 30 minutes. While that is cooking complete the other items.

Whisk these 5 ingredients together:
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.

Then add the following:
1 cup chopped tomatoes ( I used only 1 small tomato since I'm not the biggest fan)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon cilantro (I didn't have so I substituted 1 jalapeño)
1 avocado

After avocado salsa is mixed, I let it sit. The rice was still cooking as I rinsed a can (15 ounces) of black beans and let them drain. Then instead of chicken, I used shrimp. I cooked about a pound of raw shrimp. I sprinkled some chili powder on them as they cooked. Once the shrimp and rice were cooked, I  mixed them with the beans. 

Then it is time to build the burrito! I used a whole wheat fajita tortilla. I placed a little lettuce, then some rice, shrimp, and beans followed by the avocado salsa with some cheddar cheese. I rolled up the tortilla and devoured! It did pack some heat, so maybe seed the jalapeño or omit it. Another option would be to forgo the chili powder. No matter what way, hurry up and try. It is yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment